The Preeminence of Jesus (Sermon)
The following is a sermon I preached at Cherrydale Bible Church on October 4, 2015.
Title: Jesus and God, Jesus and creation, Jesus and the church
Passage: Colossians 1:15-23
Theme: The Preeminence and Sufficiency of Jesus
- Fake syrup vs. real Syrup
- Today we are going to see Paul combat an artificial, distorted view of Jesus Christ by presenting a glorious, God-breathed, all-natural (or should I say “super-natural”?) view of Him. We will ultimately see the pre-eminency of Jesus in relation to His Father, His creation, and His church. My goal today is not only to have us “taste and see that the Lord is good,” but to whet our appetites so that we will desire Him more.
- Jesus, Father (1:15, 19)
- Image- “likeness, representation, Heb: Reflection/ shadow/ Idol/ resemblance”
- “Therefore, when He came into the world, He said: “Sacrifice and offering You did not desire, But a body You have prepared for Me.” Heb 10:5
- Invisible God
- God is Spirit
- Firstborn is a status, not necessarily a birth order. The Greek word itself is an adjective, not a noun. (born before Creation- eternal- Henry)
- Acknowledgment of the firstborn
- Inheritance- double portion
- Firstborn Over all creation (of every creature)
- Jehovah’s Witnesses vs. Jn 1:1-2
- Fullness (19)
- It pleased God
- Do you want to know what makes God happy? God is happy when He knows that His fullness dwells in Jesus.
- All power over heaven and earth.
- Jesus, Creation (1:16-17, 20)
- What: all things in heaven and earth (inclusive)
- How: through Him
- God is the inspiration, Jesus is the Word, the Spirit is the power.
- Why: for Him
- Thou art worthy, O Lord, to receive glory and honour and power: for thou hast created all things, and for thy pleasure they are and were created. Rev 4:11 KJV
- Do you recognize that you were made by Jesus for His pleasure? Does your life please Him?
- Sustainer (in Him all things consist, hold together)
- “They not only subsist in their beings, but consist in their order and dependences.” Henry
- Reconciler all things (20)
- The Fall… Jesus made peace with God possible through His death on the cross and by the blood that He shed.
- Jesus, Church (1:18, 21-23)
- The Head of the Church
- Beginning (principle)
- Firstborn from the dead
- He was not the first to be raised, but the preeminent one who was raised. (By his own power.)
- Preeminence in all things
- What place does Jesus Christ have in your life?
- Reconciled Men (21-23)
- Alienated and enemies
- Aliens in a foreign land. Enemies by wicked works. Sinful, God-rejecting, works. In both thought and deed.
- Holy, blameless, above reproach
- Jesus’ work is not finished. He now actively works to keep a dirty bunch of sinners clean!
- If you Continue
- God cares very much that you stand firm in truth and continue in faith.
- In relation to the church, Jesus Christ is the supreme Head. In relation to the creation, Jesus Christ is the almighty creator. In relation to God, Jesus Christ Is.
 Psalm 34:8