The Preeminence and Sufficiency of Jesus (Sermon)
The following is a sermon I preached at Cherrydale Bible Church on August 30, 2015.
Title: Colossians Intro
Passage: Colossians 1:1-2
Theme: The Preeminence and Sufficiency of Jesus
- Jesus Christ
- Yeshua- Iesou- Jehova is Salvation
- Christ- Christos- Messiah- Anointed
- Apostle of, sent one.
- will of God (Doctrinal Minute: Trinity)
- God the father is the overseer. He makes the decisions, Christ executes them through the power of the Spirit.
- Ultimately, the will of God is that Jesus be glorified.
- Do you know the will of God for your life? Is Jesus glorified in your life?
- Paul loved Timothy. Despite his youth, imperfections, fear, health issues…
- Do you have a relationship like this?
- Timothy, like Sosthenes (1Cor.), did no co-write this letter. (Apostle)
- G80- Adelphos- From the same womb
- No liturgical structure here
- Saints and faithful brethren in Christ
- Sacred- set apart ones
- trustworthy- keep on (1:23)
- Are you a saint who is faithful in Christ? A lack of joy follows those who are not in Him. (Drive across country, lack of joy)
- Located 100 Mi E of Ephesus in the Lycus river valley (Asia/ Asia Minor/Turkey)
- Paul had never been here
- Unmerited favor from the Lord
- Have you received His grace?
- Follows Grace. Peace is the overflow of a right relationship with Him.
- God our Father
- Those saints and faithful are now “brethren” because Christ has made them sons of God.
- 1 Jn 3:1 Behold what manner of love the Father has bestowed on us, that we should be called children of God!
- Lord Jesus Christ
- Master (supreme in authority), Savior, Messiah
- Who is the supreme authority in your life?